Sheffield Adventure Film Festival 2013 - Another Record Breaking Year
SHEFFIELD ADVENTURE FILM FESTIVAL 2013 - ANOTHER RECORD BREAKING YEAR
ACTION, ADVENTURE + ART
The deadline for submissions to the 8th annual Sheffield Adventure Film Festival closed at the weekend and competition for the Grand Prize is hotter than ever with a record number of films under consideration.
Festival Director Matt Heason (Heason Events) has been testing his broadband connection to breaking point with a whopping 240 films in the running. Film-makers will be notified by the New Year whether they’ve been successful with tickets going on sale around 20th January.
Festival Director Matt Heason doing his best Danny MacAskill impression (credit: Showroom Workstation)
As ever, the three day festival will be held at the Showroom Cinema and Workstation - the UK’s largest independent cinema outside of London. 2012 was another bumper year with more films than ever before (75); record ticket sales (a 44% increase on 2011) and an incredible 130,000+ views of our trailer producing by award-winning film-maker Al Lee with soundtrack by Sheffield Band Hey Sholay who’ve gone on to release their debut album and perform live on 6Music.
ShAFF 2013 promises to be bigger and better than ever. We’ve got a few surprises up our sleeves. Like the Heason Events Facebook page, follow us on twitter at @HeasonEvents and @Heason_Lissa #SheffAdvFilmFest and join our mailing list to be the first to know the latest news.
We’re already delighted to announce:
- For the second year running ShAFF will be presented by the Californian outdoor gear and apparel company Patagonia.
- The Sheffield Star is joining the Sheffield Telegraph as our official media partners.
- And joining this year’s judging panel is Trail Running magazine editor Claire Maxted.
Can’t wait til March? Don’t worry:
- Back by popular demand we’re rescreening last year’s Grand Prize winner ‘Unbreakable - The Western States 100' at Castleton Youth Hostel on December 14th, preceded by a head torch run led by Sheffield running shop Accelerate.
- We’ve got a Best of ShAFF 2012 screening at the Showroom on January 15th including another chance to see the Best Bike Film winner Danny MacAskill’s viral sensation ‘Industrial Revolutions’ on the big screen. (Listen back to our podcast interview with Danny).
- And we’ll soon be announcing details of our popular ShAFF Expert Night Q&A series. Put the dates in your diary now - Biking (1 Feb); Climbing (7 Feb) and Running (13 Feb).
Festival Director Matt Heason said: “I say it every year but the quality of films just keeps on getting better. A strong trend this year is that film-makers have definitely upped the artistic ante. 2013 is the year art, adventure and action have all come together and the result is some truly stunning cinematography.”
“Notable this year is a welcome increase in the number of films featuring female athletes. Last year’s new category for short virals was a hit and the quality and quantity keeps rising fuelled by YouTube, Vimeo and the accessibility of affordable editing software and the Go-Pro revolution. But I’m also seeing more feature length films. Given programming constraints a longer film needs to hit a really high standard to make the final festival cut but there are some strong contenders. Watch this space!”
Watch last year's trailer...
Click here to download a pdf version of this press release
For more info contact Lissa Cook on 07818 411 791 / 01663 751 126 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For trailers, news and other events Like the Heason Events Facebook page. Follow us on twitter at @HeasonEvents and @Heason_Lissa #SheffAdvFilmFest
Notes to editors:
- ShAFF is the weekend of 1-3 March 2013 (www.shaff.co.uk) at the art deco Sheffield Showroom cinema - the UK’s biggest independent cinema outside London. (15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX / tel 0114 275 7727 or book online from mid January)
- ?Can’t wait til March? Don’t worry we’ve got our Best Of ShAFF 2012 screening (15 Jan) and our popular speaker series - the ShAFF Expert Nights on Biking (1 Feb); Climbing (7 Feb) and Running (13 Feb).?
- It’s great value - one ticket buys you a multi-film screening so you can see several films in one hit. Passionate about your sport? Then try our specialist selections. Want a high energy hit? Then book our Adrenaline showing. Fancy inspiration and escapism? Try the Adventure Medley. Film screenings are mixed in with talks and lectures on epic climbs, runs and rides by world-class adventurers. ?
- For a family friendly weekend try our Young Adventurer showings with activities afterwards.
- Chill out in the bar/cafe between screenings with live music, comfy-seating and free wifi. During the day grab a light lunch and coffee with friends and in the evenings, book dinner made by experienced chefs with fresh, local produce. Why not try the great selection of on tap or bottled beers, wines and ciders - not forgetting the awesome cake cabinet!
- Getting there’s easy - We’re just across the road from the mainline train station with regular services to the Peak District, Manchester and the UK, there are also local buses, trams and a plenty of nearby car-parks. ?
- We’re growing in the face of a global recession. Now in its 8th year, for the past seven years 100% of the audience said they’d come back again and recommend it to a friend. ShAFF 2012 was our best ever year with a 44% increase in ticket sales and more than 130,000 views of our trailer.
- Showroom Cinema, Sheffield